Sunday, October 05, 2008

Birthday story

I think I'm never gonna have a chance to catch up with some of you. So, I'll tell you the birthday story here in short form...

My water broke Sat night in the night but I didn't know it. Thought it was a bladder control problem--sorry men. Sunday night, the same thing happened so I called Mon and went in and, sure enough, my water had broken. They sent me straight to hospital because of that but also because my Group B Strep was positive. I got to hospital at 1, and was b/t 2-3 cm. They did antibiotics for the GBS and b/c water had been broken awhile. Started Penicillin and it BURNED like nothing else. It was horrible. Doc came in, though, and wanted to change it to Ampicillin (sp?) because that covers more bacteria in case of infection. They started the antibiotic at 2, stopped it at 2:30, and started the Pitocin. They told me I could have an epidural whenever so I told them to bring it on. I think I felt 3-5 contractions total. They checked me at 4:00, and I was still b/t 2-3, so I assumed it would be a long night.

At 5, Mom called to say the kids were restless so I told them to go eat at the mall and then come on to the hospital. They gave me the second round of antibiotics at 6:00, and came in to stop it and check me at 6:30. Doctor started smiling and said, "I feel a big head but no cervix. You went from 2 to 10 in two hours, dear." Scott was SHOOK. He said, "What does that mean?" She said, "It means we're having a baby now!"

He had to call Mom and Daddy and tell them to abort the mall plan and get down there. They had me push once then made me stop because she was coming and they had to "suit up." I pushed during the next two contractions and she was born at 6:39. That means they checked me at 6:30, I pushed, they made me stop pushing, got their gear on, and I pushed twice more for her to be born in 9 minutes.

The recovery is WAY better than w/Reagan, which is not a surprise with such a shorter labor and delivery (18 hours with him and an hour and forty five minutes of pushing).

So the kids love her. They are great with her - want to see her and hold her but aren't too "in her face" about it all.

Anyway, there's the story. I am sorry I haven't caught up with several of you. It's just hard to get any alone time and when I do get a good break, knowing she'll sleep awhile, I try to nap. She's a good baby, though. :)

4 comments:

Scarlett said...

Amy, she is precious! I'm glad the 2nd time around went quicker and easier....mine was the opposite! I hope you're doing well. You have a lot of little helpers around the house!

Jenny said...

so glad to see that everything is going great for you. she's such a doll. you'll have to post lots more pictures soon. they change so quickly. i cannot tell you how much i miss you and think about you. can't wait to catch up, but thanks for posting all the details...you know how we girls like that stuff! give everyone a kiss for me...especially Carley!
LULULULULU

C. Smith said...

So glad everything went great !! Cant wait to see more pic.

Kristi said...

WOW...that was a fast birth!!! That's awesome! Thanks for sharing!