Monday, July 31, 2006

Godwinks


Mel's brother Shannon uses the word "Godwinks" to describe situations in which you think God is probably doing just that. This might be silly but do you ever think that when you hear something new for the first time then hear it again soon after?

Here's an example. Our Sunday school teacher yesterday was talking about providence and communication. He used the phrase "singleness of mind" or "singleness of purpose" to talk about sincere people. No ulterior motives. I loved it. (Maybe I'm out of the loop but I haven't heard it before.) Last night, I was up late reading a new Karen Kingsbury and one of the characters is lovingly described as having "singleness of mind." Twice in 15 hours. I just looked up and smiled.
Another one. Yesterday in Sunday school, discussing communication, our teacher looked at me to ask, "Which president was called the great communicator?" He asked me because the answer was, of course, REAGAN. I had never heard that before. At least not exactly like that. So, this morning on the news, someone mentions the conservatives' ability to use words wisely. He said, "It started with the great communicator, Ronald Reagan." Twice in 24 hours.

Now I know those aren't great examples but I do think God winks at us. Tell me what you think. (If anyone reads this, that is.)

3 comments:

Meredith said...

Great post. I love the expression "God winks!" Clever and oh, so true!

Will and Melodie said...

So neat! I love God Winks! I see more and more as time goes by! I think he definitely winks and definitely laughs at us often. Let's talk soon! Love you!

Gena said...

i am now looking for God's wink. I think it's awesome to break out of the mold in which we see God and invision Him "winking" or doing things that might, heaven forbid, just make us laugh, just to be silly. God is perfect, he created all the things that make us feel joy and think, why would He not use them himself, directly.
awesome pictures, awesome post my friend.