Friday, August 15, 2008

Two awesome quotes


I'm reading a new book that Will told me about, called The Shack. It's supposed to be amazing. As of right now, it has 1,023 reviews on Amazon. I'm almost done and will turn right around and read it through again to study it more and to underline and make notes. It's a neat work of fiction and actually very interesting, theologically ("interesting" being the key word). If you've read it, I'd love your thoughts.
For now, though, I want to share two quotes I read in it. Neither was written by the author, but are noted at the beginning of chapters.
"We routinely disqualify testimony that would plead for extenuation. That is, we are so persuaded of the rightness of our judgment as to invalidate evidence that does not confirm us in it. Nothing that deserves to be called truth could ever be arrived at by such means." --Marilynne Robinson, The Death of Adam
This quote is so applicable for this time in our lives and in the life of our nation: "Once abolish the God and the government becomes the god." --G.K. Chesterton
Wow!

4 comments:

Fred-o said...

A friend gave me this book to read as well. It seems everywhere I go, people are talking about it. I have started it, but haven't gotten very far yet.

Amy F said...

I finished it last night. It's pretty good and I love the thoughts (I'll re-read it soon) but it's (1) fiction and (2) not a ton better than any other Christian fiction I've read. I feel about it like I felt about The Purpose Driven Life. It's great for new believers or non-believers and a good "refresher" for the rest of us who have been somewhat strong believers (can I say that?) for awhile.

ChaChaneen said...

My girlfriend gave me the book about a month ago but I haven't started it yet as I'm trying to finish a Jane Austen novel. I've heard nothing but good comments from believers. Have a great weekend!

Kristi said...

I've heard great things about it. It's my next book purchase!