Monday, September 18, 2006

It's Not About Me

I love these thoughts in It's Not About Me:

"Your pain has a purpose. Your problems, struggles, heartaches, and hassles cooperate toward one end--the glory of God. 'Trust me in your times of trouble, and I will rescue you, and you will give me glory' (Ps 51;15)...

"Why was the blind man on the side of the road blind? So 'the works of God might be displayed in him' Jn 9.

"'This sickness is not to end in death, but for the glory of God, so that the Son of Man may be glorified by it' (Jn 11:4).

"Is there any chance, any possibility, that you have been selected to struggle for God's glory? Have you 'been granted for Christ's sake, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for his sake' (Philippians 1:29)?

"Are people strengthened by your struggles? It's not about you. Your hospital room is a showcase for your Maker. Your faith in the face of suffering cranks up the volume of God's song.

"God will use whatever he wants to display his glory."

Our faith in the face of suffering may lead one person to seek a like faith. "Did God orchestrate...illness for that very reason? Knowing the value he places on one soul, I wouldn't be surprised. And imagining the splendor of heaven, I know [the sufferer will not be] complaining.

"A season of suffering is a small assignment when compared to the reward.

"Rather than begrudge your problem, explore it. Ponder it. And most of all, use it. Use it to the glory of God."

Easy for me to say, I know.

You've probably read it but it's worth repeating. I need to paste this everywhere in my house.

2 comments:

Gena said...

i prayed just this morning to be less of me, as always-
i get this is ultimately our biggest struggle (mine at least)
thanks for the verses and thoughts, a great way to start my day.
love you.

Gina said...

Amy, I am sure you are busy doing very productive stuff, but I just wanted you to know I've been missing your deep and very inspirational thoughts - I love what you have to say. Love you!